Update 12/19/18 4:26 p.m.
The following update was reported by the Associated Press.
Scene at Webster County Sheriff's Department
Tim Mitchell | Photo: MHP
(AP) - A charging document says a northern Mississippi sheriff was stealing guns and drugs, seeking sex with inmates and threatening employees if they told anyone about the crimes.
Webster County Sheriff Timothy Mitchell was arrested Wednesday at his Eupora home and is jailed awaiting a Thursday court appearance. District Attorney Doug Evans says he knows of no lawyer representing Mitchell.
A sworn statement accuses him of crimes beginning in November 2017, when he's accused of illegally buying pills from an informant.
Beginning this spring, Mitchell is accused of seeking sex with two women in his jail. He's also accused of ordering a deputy to remove four guns from evidence and conveying at least some to an employee and an inmate. Mitchell also provided that inmate with illegal drugs and a cellphone, charges say, while ordering the deputy to remove drugs from evidence.
Charges say Mitchell threatened then-Chief Deputy Jeffrey Mann and two other employees if they told anyone.
Update 12/19/18 2:05 p.m.
Tim Mitchell is expected to make his initial court appearance tomorrow, Dec. 20, at 3 p.m. in Eupora.
See the original post below.
WEBSTER COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Webster County Sheriff Tim Mitchell has been arrested on multiple felony charges.
According to the Mississippi Department of Public Safety and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, Mitchell, 53, of Eupora, has been arrested and charged with the following:
- 2 counts of embezzlement
- 2 counts of trafficking in stolen firearms
- 1 count of attempting sex and/or sexual acts with an inmate
- 1 count of tampering with physical evidence
- 3 counts of retaliation against a witness
- 1 count of permitting possession and/or sale of a controlled substance in jail
- 2 counts of furnishing an inmate with weapons, cell phone, and narcotics
He is currently serving his second term as the sheriff of Webster County at the time of his arrest.
He is currently in the Lafayette County jail pending his initial appearance.
- UPDATE: New information on arrest of Webster County sheriff
- Two more Webster County sheriff's employees arrested
- UPDATE: Webster County sheriff bonds out of jail
- Webster County man fires rifle at sheriff
- Webster County supervisors talk future of sheriff
- Former Webster County sheriff's investigator pleads guilty
- UPDATE: Webster escapee captured, more arrests expected
- Webster County supervisors must appoint new sheriff following arrest
- UPDATE: Webster County teen located safe
- UPDATE: Judge sets $400,000 bond for Webster County sheriff after arrest