EUPORA, Miss. (WTVA) - It was a close call for Webster County Sheriff Tim Mitchell, who broke into the house of the man who held officers at bay for more than 20 minutes.
Law enforcement were called out to the residence on Highway 82 by the man's mother Sherry Shurden, where she was afraid to go into her home because of her son 28-year-old Justin Shurden, who is believed to suffer from mental illness threatened to kill her.
When officers arrived they found Shurden barricaded in the home with a rifle. Sheriff Mitchell went in and Shurden point the rifle at his chest, pulled the trigger and misfired.
Sheriff Mitchell says he is lucky to be alive.
Shurden was taking into custody and will now be examined by a mental health counselor. Police officials say only then is when they will talk about filing charges if they decide to do so.
- Webster County man fires rifle at sheriff
- Webster County sheriff arrested
- Man points gun at Webster County sheriff, gun misfires
- Sheriff: Man with rifle storms into restaurant, opens fire
- Several injuries in Webster County house fire
- No injuries in Webster County house fire
- Man wanted in Webster County for burglaries
- Webster County inmates face charges
- Vehicle flips, catches fire in Webster County; 4 injured
- UPDATE: Webster County teen located safe