EUPORA, Miss. (WTVA) - A doctor in Webster County, who has spent over 50 years practicing medicine, received a national honor.
Dr. Charles Ozborn has been named the 2018 Country Doctor of the Year. Residents say he has treated just about everyone in the county, and he has done so during nights, weekends, and holidays.
"Someone like our Country Doctor of the Year, they're people that are completely invested in the community" said Jeff Decker, president of AMN Healthcare. "And the community benefits from the care they get."
AMN Healthcare is the company who chooses each year's recipient. Decker says Dr. Ozborn wins because his work ethic goes unmatched.
Residents from all over Webster County filled the First Baptist Church of Eupora Family Life Center to congratulate the man many have known their entire life. A man many call the Wizard of Oz.
"Being a country doctor was what I always wanted to be," says Dr. Ozborn. "I grew up on a farm and daddy told me everyday that is what I needed to be."
And so...the Wizard of Oz is one because...
"Some of the best times I ever had was going out at midnight to somebody's family that was dying," says Dr. Ozborn. "And sitting there with them for a couple hours and holding their hand. You know, and maybe crying a little bit."
Because because because because because...
"I've just always had the passion to be part of a family of doing things for people," says Dr. Ozborn. "You know, that's what really drives me."
Because of the wonderful things he does...
"When we started he had everything in a black bag...everything. And he did house calls," said Decker. "But you look at all of the transition that has happened within health care over 50 years to now where everything is electronic, and he is up to date on all of this."
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz...
"The most fun I ever had was taking care of the people. That is the most fun I ever had," says Dr. Ozborn. "That would be pretty dull for most people, but everything I do is exciting."
- Webster Co. doctor receives Country Doctor of the Year award
- Teacher receives Citizen of the Year award
- UPDATE: Doctor killed in Columbus crash
- Mississippi Medicaid increasing doctors' office visits
- Doctors urge Mississippians to get Measles Vaccination
- Webster County inmates face charges
- Alabama pill mill doctor accused of illegal prescribing
- Women sue doctor claiming sexual assault, inappropriate contact
- Corinth doctor dies in car fire near Kossuth
- Attorneys for Tupelo doctor issue statement on Medicare fraud allegations