NEW YORK (WTVA) - The sailor who was captured in one of the 20th century’s most iconic photos died on Sunday.
NBC News reports World War II veteran George Mendonsa died at the age of 95.
George Mendonsa | Photo: MGN Online
On Aug. 14, 1945, Alfred Eisenstaedt photographed a sailor kissing a nurse in Times Square as the nation celebrated Japan’s surrender.
His claim of being the famous sailor was verified using facial recognition technology.
- WWII veteran identified as 'kissing sailor' dies
- '#MeToo' spray-painted on iconic statue of WWII sailor kissing nurse
- Funeral held for sailor who died at Pearl Harbor
- WWII Vets Honored in Oxford
- WWII vet celebrates 100th birthday
- Disabled veteran dies following Lowndes County fire
- Women arrested for 2017 death of WWII vet
- UPDATE: Tishomingo County body identified
- Coroner identifies Tupelo shooting victim
- Lowndes County inmate dies