LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - The Lee County Hunger Coalition held a packing event for their Break Box program.
Break Box is a monthly box of non-perishable foods that are available for families during the summer months while their kids are home more often.
Volunteers from across the county got together for the last packing event of the summer.
According to the executive director of the coaliton, Jason Martin, there have been 855 participants across Lee County.
The boxes were filled with items such as canned goods, oatmeals and chips.
Martin said the next step is for the boxes to be delivered to one of the seven distribution sites in the county.
- Volunteers pack boxes of food for children
- More than 100 volunteers packed food for children
- Pack the Pickup: A Holiday Success
- Local residents pack Christmas sacks for Chickasaw inmates
- FDA reveals proposed graphic warnings for cigarette packs and ads
- Starkville woman cuts coworker with box-cutter
- TCPS athletes volunteer in community
- Local food pantry feeds hundreds
- Volunteer fire chief charged with embezzlement
- Volunteers prepare and deliver meals in Columbus