TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A crowd of people gathered at the Orchard in Tupelo Thursday night to remember the life of Erica Walls.
Walls was the mother of Tupelo High School senior basketball player Tahj Crump.
She died Sunday in a car accident near Kilmichael as her and her son were driving back from a college recruiting visit at Milsaps.
The vigil was organized by the Tupelo High School swim team. Senior member Gracie Hand said they wanted Tajh and his family to feel comforted and know he had people at school who care for him.
Everyone exchanged prayers, memories and tears for the kind woman remembered as a supportive parent.
"His mom as always been right there step for step to help him," said Jeff Norwood, Tahj's basketball coach.
Coach Norwood also said how supportive the team had been through the tragedy. They all wore t-shirts that said "#21STRONG."
Tahj was taken to the hospital after the accident and underwent surgery, but he was released Tuesday. He suffered a punctured lung and broken elbow, but Coach Norwood said he is recovering just fine.
A GoFundMe.com account has been set up for the family.
- Vigil honors mother of Tupelo High School basketball player
- High School Basketball player laid to rest
- Prayer vigil held for ICC football player
- Candlelight vigil held for Houston football player
- Former Tupelo High School student honored with park bench
- Vigil held for dead Tupelo man
- Mom of Tupelo basketball player laid to rest in Amory
- Building evacuated at Tupelo High School
- UPDATE: Tupelo High School teacher under investigation
- MSU president visits Tupelo High School