VERONA, Miss. (WTVA) - A Verona man says he may never work again following a recent shooting in Verona.
The shooting happened at the Super C either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. Surveillance videos shows several people near the store's entrance when gunfire erupted. One person can be seen firing a handgun.
D'Mario Cole was caught in the crossfire and was shot.
Cole says his mother and sister were in separate cars at the store with him. He's thankful they were not hurt.
He talked about his nephew, who decided not to come with him.
"A light bulb went off because usually he wants to go with us," he said. "I thank God he wasn't with me because the bullet would have went through the window. It would have hit him."
Instead, the gunfire left Cole with a bullet inside him.
"I can barely walk. I can't climb my big rig. I'm in pain," he said. "I have nightmares every night since this happened. I have problem sleeping."
He spoke about recent shootings in the area.
"I just wish we could put these guns down," he said. "We've got innocent people out here."
He says he doesn't know when he'll be able to drive trucks again.
As of now, any arrests are unknown. Verona police have not released any information about the incident.
As for Cole, he says he is going to get a second medical opinion to see if the bullet can be safely removed.
- Verona shooting victim speaks out
- Alderman speaks out about Verona shooting
- Possible shooting in Verona
- Police investigate Verona shooting
- Investigation continues into Verona car wash shooting
- UPDATE: Unusual pistol found following Verona shooting
- UPDATE: Bond set for Verona shooting suspect
- UPDATE: Verona man charged after shooting
- REPORT: Suspects arrested in Verona shooting
- Law enforcement respond to shooting in Verona