Photo Gallery 1 Images
Editor's Note: This article has updated to include new information.
WINSTON COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A son has died following a fire in Winston County, which his father is accused of starting.
Winston County Chief Deputy Keith Alexander confirms the son of Fred Eiland passed away Tuesday morning in a Jackson hospital.
The son died from burn injuries.
Winston County Sheriff Jason Pugh identifies the son as 17-year-old Lil'Freddius Eiland.
Fred Eiland is accused of setting fire to a building with his family inside on Friday, July 13 on Mount Olive Road.
Eiland's wife, Merredyth Eiland, 45, died after the incident. A daughter and her boyfriend survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
He's also accused of leading officers on a chase. Ultimately, he was arrested.
When asked why he allegedly set fire to the building with his family inside, officers say Eiland gave no immediate reason.
Pugh says this appeared to be a domestic situation.
Eiland appeared in court Monday where he was charged with capital murder, arson and three counts of aggravated assault.
Since his son's death, charges have been upgraded.
"We have upgraded that to two counts of capital murder and two counts of aggravated assault and arson," said Sheriff Pugh.
- UPDATE: Son dies following Winston County fire, father accused of starting it
- UPDATE: Man dies in Winston County shooting
- Father accused of shooting son in Noxubee County
- UPDATE: Man wanted in Winston County burglary
- UPDATE: Power restored in Winston County
- Body recovered following Winston County fire
- Starkville man dies in Winston motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: Tishomingo County fire victim dies
- UPDATE: Officers arrest suspect in Winston County lawnmower theft
- UPDATE: Suspects' names released in Winston County church vandalism case