LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Miss. (WAAY) - Lauderdale County authorities said an escaped inmate from the county jail is back in custody.
43-year-old Christopher Wayne Kilpatrick escaped from the Lauderdale County Detention Center late Saturday night. He was captured Monday morning in Tennessee, authorities said.
This is the second time Kilpatrick has escaped from jail. In April, he was on the run for a little more than a week after escaping from the detention center. At the time, he was in jail on an attempted murder charge.
The attempted murder charge came from an incident in August 2016, where police said Kilpatrick led officers on a chase in a stolen vehicle and then tried to take a Florence police officer's gun during a struggle. Kilpatrick was shot once in the stomach before he was arrested, police said.
After he escaped in April, authorities said Kilpatrick traveled between Nashville and Birmingham, stealing from vehicles. He was finally arrested in Lauderdale County after an eight-hour standoff.
- UPDATE: Lauderdale County escapee recaptured
- UPDATE: Marion County, AL escapee recaptured
- UPDATE: Rankin County escapee captured
- UPDATE: Marion County, AL jail escapee captured
- UPDATE: MDOC escapees captured in Marshall County
- UPDATE: Yazoo County jail escapee captured
- UPDATE: Madison County jail escapee captured
- UPDATE: Macon escapee captured in Alabama
- UPDATE: Webster escapee captured, more arrests expected
- UPDATE: South Mississippi jail escapee captured in Webster County