ALCORN COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - More information is being released following the arrest of a Kossuth Middle School coach.
Alcorn County Sheriff Ben Caldwell identifies the coach as 29-year-old Micah Macay Wilbanks of Corinth. He was arrested Wednesday, May 2.
The sheriff says investigators were originally called to the school in reference to allegations that Wilbanks was secretly recording female students in the basketball locker room.
However, Wilbanks was arrested for suspicion of public intoxication.
RELATED: Kossuth coach arrested at school
"During the arrest, the investigation discovered that Wilbanks was in possession of alleged methamphetamine, as well as paraphernalia used to smoke methamphetamine," Caldwell stated.
He was taken to the Alcorn County jail where he was charged with public intoxication, possession of a controlled substance and possession of paraphernalia.
"The investigation into the possible filming of students is ongoing and we are in the process of scheduling a probable cause hearing," Caldwell continued.
A probable cause hearing is required due to Wilbanks being a teacher and being on duty at the time the crime allegedly took place.
Wilbanks is waiting for his initial court appearance.
While in court in Alcorn County, Wilbanks and his lawyer indicated they would waive his probable cause hearing. No bond has yet been set @wtva9news
— Rebecca Butcher (@RebeccaWTVA9) May 3, 2018
- UPDATE: Kossuth coach accused of secretly filming female students
- Kossuth coach arrested at school
- Man pleads guilty during trial to secretly filming minor
- Federal indictment handed down against Kossuth coach
- Former Kossuth coach now charged with federal sex crime
- UPDATE: Coach accused of filming girls asks court to dismiss charges
- Oxford man charged with secretly photographing for lewd purpose
- Cameras secretly recorded women in California hospital delivery rooms
- UPDATE: Coach faces charges of photographing students for lewd purposes
- Kossuth defeats Belmont for Class 3A girls championship