EUPORA, Miss. (WTVA) - A judge set a $400,000 bond for Webster County Sheriff Tim Mitchell following his arrest Wednesday.
He made his initial court appearance today, Dec. 20, in Eupora Municipal Court.
The sheriff faces a dozen charges including embezzlement and attempting to have sex with an inmate.
He is currently in his second term as sheriff.
Earlier this month, Mitchell confirmed with WTVA 9 News that he will retire from his position on Jan. 2.
He cited health reasons and tendered a letter of resignation to the board of supervisors a week earlier.
Mitchell has appointed Chief Deputy Andy McCants to run the sheriff's department in the meantime.
- UPDATE: Judge sets $400,000 bond for Webster County sheriff after arrest
- UPDATE: Webster County sheriff bonds out of jail
- Bond set at $75,000 for Webster County murder suspect
- Two more Webster County sheriff's employees arrested
- UPDATE: New information on arrest of Webster County sheriff
- Webster County man fires rifle at sheriff
- Webster County supervisors talk future of sheriff
- Former Webster County sheriff's investigator pleads guilty
- UPDATE: Webster escapee captured, more arrests expected
- Webster County supervisors must appoint new sheriff following arrest