CALEDONIA, Miss. (WTVA) - More information has been released concerning the early February arrest of Caledonia student.
On January 31, the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department was advised of suspicious behavior concerning a student at Caledonia High School.
The student was reportedly making posts on social media concerning firearms, which raised concerns of law enforcement and Caledonia residents.
"Some students at the school were concerned about some posts that the student was making and the change in his mood toward things," Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley stated.
Miley says officers viewed a social media video that showed the student with a firearm.
"All of the above concerned the [school] counselors and the sheriff's department to the point that they needed to investigate further."
Officers went to the student's residence and searched the location with parental permission.
"Officers were able to locate a handgun, an old bullet resistant vest and a small amount of ammunition," Miley continued.
The juvenile was taken to the Lowndes County Juvenile Detention Center and turned over to Youth Court.
The investigation revealed the handgun seized was at one time in possession of a former Lowndes County deputy and should have been logged into evidence approximately 10 years ago but never was.
"This is an on-going investigation and Lowndes County authorities are in contact with Lowndes County School administrators regarding the juvenile and are working on developing a possible prosecutorial case on the former officer in reference to the above firearm involved in this matter and those findings will be presented to the Lowndes County district attorney for presentation to the next term of the Lowndes County grand jury," Miley stated.
He says the student is no longer in classes at the school and currently awaiting a hearing with the Lowndes County School administration.
"At this time of the investigation, we have no credible information or evidence that the juvenile in question had a firearm on school premises at any time."
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Caledonia student
- Investigator: Caledonia man fires shot toward church
- Caledonia student arrested for gun possession
- Caledonia student arrested for shooting threat
- CORRECTION: Caledonia man not arrested
- Caledonia student claims suspension for national anthem, school says otherwise
- Florida woman charged for Caledonia auto burglary
- UPDATE: Investigation into accident involving bicycle continues
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Itawamba County shooting
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Alabama train collision