PONTOTOC, Miss. (WTVA) - A traffic stop in Union County led to a chase and a fatal officer-involved shooting west of Pontotoc.
Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the series of events started around 6:30 p.m. Monday on County Road 102, which is in the southern part of the county, west of Ingomar.
Scene of officer-involved shooting on Highway 9 west of Pontotoc (Terry Whitt)
According to Edwards, one of his deputies pulled someone over who got out of his car, then got back in and took off.
The sheriff said the chase ended when the car crashed into another vehicle on Highway 9, west of Pontotoc just outside of the city.
That driver is accused of shooting at the deputy. Edwards added multiple officers had to return fire.
According to Edwards, the driver died at the scene. WTVA 9 News has been able to confirm the man's identity as Terry Payne.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Cpl. Jason Roe confirmed there was an officer-involved shooting and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI) is looking into what happened.
MBI's involvement is a standard procedure following a law enforcement shooting.
- Chase ends with fatal officer-involved shooting near Pontotoc
- Police chase ends in Pontotoc
- Chase involving law enforcement ends with arrest
- Huntsville police investigating chase, UAH officer-involved shooting
- Troopers: Suspect arrested after Pontotoc County chase
- Marion County officer-involved shooting under investigation
- Man killed during Clarksdale officer-involved shooting
- Update: Suspect identified in officer-involved shooting
- Suspect in hospital after deputy-involved chase, shooting
- Mother speaks on son in deputy-involved chase, shooting