UPDATE 11/02/17 1:15 p.m.
COLUMBUS AFB, Miss. (WTVA) - The Columbus Air Force Base says its main gate has reopened following an earlier safety concern.
The main gate was closed to all traffic near 10 a.m. on Thursday, November 2. A military working dog team signaled that a household goods shipment was potentially unsafe for entry to the base.
"Security forces took appropriate actions to secure the area until it was deemed all clear," said a CAFB spokesperson.
ORIGINAL POST 11/02/17 12 p.m.
COLUMBUS AFB, Miss. (WTVA) -- The main gate at Columbus Air Force Base is closed after a security patrol canine alerted on a delivery truck entering the base.
Spokesperson Sonic Johnson says the gate was closed around 10 a.m. and an investigation is underway.
Anyone needing access to the base is asked to use the south gate.
The Main Gate, Visitor Control Center, Exchange, Commissary and other nearby buildings will be closed until further notice.
He gave no timeline as to how long the main gate would be closed.
- UPDATE: CAFB main gate reopens after safety concern
- UPDATE: Operations return to normal at CAFB
- Thunderbirds will not perform at CAFB
- CAFB workers injured while inspecting T-38C
- UPDATE: MSU residence halls reopen after water main repair
- Columbus AFB temporarily closes main gate as precaution
- UPDATE: Endville Road reopens
- CAFB civilian employees furloughed during federal government shutdown
- UPDATE: Pilots released from hospital after military plane crash near CAFB
- UPDATE: Lee County road reopens