TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A 19-year-old from Nettleton is charged with leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in the December death of a woman in Tupelo.
Tyler Jernigan faces the charge in connection to the Dec. 20, 2018, death of Brandi Oliver, 42, of Birmingham, Alabama.
Jernigan's lawyer, Tony Farese tells WTVA the driver was in the rain the night of the incident and thought he hit a deer. Farese commented that the 19-year-old reported the damage to his relatives.
The suspect later turned himself in.
RELATED: Woman killed in December hit-and-run
Oliver was found dead that night on North Front Street after apparently being struck by a car.
Capt. Chuck McDougald with the Tupelo Police Department says Jernigan contacted investigators through legal counsel wishing to make a statement about the incident.
He was taken into custody yesterday, Jan. 8.
This case will be presented to a Lee County grand jury.
- UPDATE: Arrest made for fatal hit-and-run in Tupelo
- UPDATE: Arrest made for New Albany hit-and-run
- UPDATE: Arrest made following school threats in Amory, Tupelo
- UPDATE: Victim in Tupelo hit-and-run identified
- UPDATE: Arrest made in fatal shooting outside Trotter Convention Center
- Arrest made in Tupelo voyeurism case
- Officers seize drugs in Tupelo, arrest made
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Lee County shooting
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Chickasaw County stabbing
- UPDATE: Arrest made for Starkville church burglary