PARCHMAN, Miss. (WTVA) -- The Mississippi Department of Corrections is reporting two more deaths at the State Penitentiary in Parchman.
The agency announced the deaths in a news release Friday afternoon.
Sunflower County Coroner Heather Burton reports one inmate died at the prison medical center Thursday afternoon around 5 p.m.
She says the medical center notified her of the second death around 9 a.m. Friday morning.
Burton says there is no sign of foul play in either death.
She is transporting both bodies to the Mississippi Crime Lab in Pearl for an autopsy.
The names of those who died are not being released pending the notification of next of kin.
This year, 21 people have died while in the custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections.
- Two inmates die at Mississippi State Pentiteniary
- Inmate with Lee County connection is 16th state inmate to die in August
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Vermont out-of-state inmates to move to Mississippi prison
- Mississippi moving more inmates out of troubled state prison
- Five people die in Thanksgiving weekend wrecks in Mississippi
- Five people die on Mississippi highways during Thanksgiving weekend
- 5 die on Mississippi roads during New Year's holiday
- Confederate emblem remains on Mississippi flag as bills die
- Three people die on Mississippi highways during Christmas holiday