COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) — Traffic accidents this week in Lowndes County have claimed the lives of five people with the latest two deaths coming in separate crashes.
Coroner Greg Merchant said Myra May, 64, of Starkville died in a Friday morning crash north of Columbus on Highway 45 at Jess Lyons Road.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Sergeant Derrick Beckom said May had been driving south and tried making a left turn onto Jess Lyons Road when a sport utility vehicle heading north crashed into the car.
Jenny Pinkerton, 28, of Sulligent, Alabama, was the other driver, and she suffered moderate injuries, according to Beckom.
The MHP is looking into that accident.
According to Merchant, the other death stemmed from an accident on Highway 12 Thursday north of Columbus.
Daryl Smith, 71, died Friday morning at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.
- Two die in separate Lowndes County crashes
- Crash In Lowndes County
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Alabama woman dies in Lowndes County crash
- Teens airlifted following Lowndes County crash
- No injuries in Lowndes County crash
- Two injured after Lowndes County crash
- One person injured in Lowndes County crash
- 2 hospitalized in Lowndes County crash
- Lowndes County murder conviction overturned