Photo Gallery 1 Images
CHICKASAW COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) -- An elderly couple who died in a house fire Wednesday afternoon have now been identified.
Chickasaw County Coroner Michael Fowler confirms 92-year-old Maceo Jordan Sr. and Delia Mae Jordan lived at the home on CR 144. He says they both died of smoke inhalation.
A family member who arrived with fire trucks shared that the two were married for 72 years.
"It was devastating, said their son-in-law Dr. Fred Gandy. "My wife and I did what we could do to help them while they were living and try and keep them happy. It's just a tremendous loss."
Mr. Jordan was a deacon at Black Oak Baptist Church, who drove his own school bus. Mrs. Jordan is described as being the backbone to his business and a dedicated Sunday school teacher.
In their long lives the two leave a lasting example of how to live life for their eight children and many grandkids.
"That family is important, just keeping each other happy, shared Fr. Gandy. "Always being a man, always kept a hustle, kept a job. He did what he could do."
The state fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire.
- UPDATE: Elderly couple dies in Valentine's Day house fire
- Elderly man dead after Oxford house fire
- UPDATE: Missing elderly Tupelo man found
- UPDATE: Tishomingo County fire victim dies
- One person dies in overnight house fire
- Woman dies in Calhoun County house fire
- Noxubee County woman died in house fire
- Coroner: Woman dies following morning house fire
- Pet dies in Union County house fire
- Why flowers get so expensive on Valentine's Day