JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - A late-night shooting south of Vicksburg killed two Alcorn State University students and wounded at least a third student.
The shooting happened shortly before midnight at a home off Highway 61 south of Port Gibson, according to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI).
The shooting happened at a non-university event 13 miles north of campus. Alcorn's main campus is located in Lorman.
Two students, 22-year-old James Carr of Itta Bena and 19-year-old Tahir Fitzhugh of Pennsylvania, died at the hospital, according to MBI.
The third student is being treated at the hospital. MBI says a fourth student was reportedly injured during the shooting.
Law enforcement officers are trying to locate an unnamed person of interest.
As a precaution, Alcorn State Police locked down its campuses; however, the lockdown has since been lifted and the university is under normal business operations.
MBI and the Alcorn State University Police Department are assisting the Claiborne County Sheriff’s Department in the investigation.
- Two Alcorn State students killed, another injured in off-campus shooting
- Walnut woman killed in Alcorn County collision
- Alcorn County woman charged for shooting husband
- UPDATE: Officials ID Alcorn County shooting victims
- Hundreds line-up for Alcorn State parade
- Teen injured after losing control of vehicle in Alcorn County
- Crash kills 1 Mississippi Valley State student, injures 2
- House fire in Alcorn County
- UPDATE: Alcorn County inmate captured