TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A babysitter is charged with kidnapping in Tupelo after police say she would not return an infant to his or her mother.
On Tuesday sometime near 5:30 a.m., Tupelo police responded to the 700 block of Elvis Presley Drive in response to a reported kidnapping.
Police say a five-month-old child had been last seen with a family friend, Kayla Mealer, Monday night sometime near 7:30 p.m.
The child's mother had allowed Mealer, 25, of Tupelo, to babysit while she rested. Tuesday morning the mother awoke and could not locate the child or Mealer.
Police say Mealer was called by the mother but would not return the infant. Police were then called.
The motive is under investigation.
Sometime near 7 a.m. Tuesday, police located Mealer's vehicle at the Sprint Mart at Main Street and Veteran's Boulevard where she was taken into custody without incident.
Police say the child was in good health and was returned to the mother.
Mealer was charged with kidnapping. Her bond was set at $50,000.
The case will be presented to a Lee County grand jury.
- Tupelo woman charged with kidnapping of infant
- Tupelo man arrested by Starkville police on kidnapping, assault charges
- UPDATE: Bond set for Tupelo kidnapping suspect
- Man arrested on kidnapping charges
- Oxford woman arrested for infant's death
- Woman accused of robbing, kidnapping Facebook friend
- UPDATE: Bond set for Tupelo kidnapping, rape suspect
- Columbus man arrested on kidnapping charges
- Police charge Starkville man with attempted kidnapping
- Mother returned to Aberdeen, faces kidnapping charges