TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Tupelo is warning its water and light customers of a phone scam.
The city says if a person receives a phone call from the Tupelo Water & Light Department about an overdue bill, hang up the phone.
This is a scam.
“Some people are using the phone calls to gain access to checking account information or credit card information by offering to collect past-due water and light bills over the phone,” said Leesha Faulkner, City of Tupelo spokesperson.
The city reminds its customers that the department never calls people about overdue accounts.
“If your account is past-due after 10 days, you’ll get a second notice,” said Tupelo Water & Light Director Johnny Timmons. “We will not call you.”
- Tupelo warns of utility phone scam
- Starkville Utilities warns customers about phone scam
- Amory warns of utility scam
- AT&T warns of phone scam
- Phone scam targeting businesses in Tupelo
- Oxford issues warning about utility scam
- Oxford Utilities issues scam warning to businesses
- Trustmark warns of phone, text scam
- Corinth police issue warning about phone scam
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam