Update 12/21/2018 2:20 p.m.
Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green identifies the victim of a fatal hit-and-run in Tupelo Thursday night as Brandi Oliver, 42, of Birmingham, Alabama.
Her body has been sent to the state crime lab for an autopsy.
Update 12/21/18 6:30 a.m.
One person is dead after a possible vehicle/pedestrian collision on North Front Street Thursday night, according to Tupelo police.
Upon arrival, an adult female victim was located at the scene, according to police. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene by the deputy coroner, according to Lee County Coroner Carolyn Green.
Police say preliminary evidence indicates the victim was hit by a vehicle that fled the scene.
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact the Tupelo Police Department or Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi.
Victim identification will be released by the coroner's office at the appropriate time.
This is a developing story.
See original post below.
TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Just before 10 p.m. Thursday, Tupelo police blocked off part of Front Street in the downtown area.
Multiple Tupelo police officers, an ambulance and state troopers are on the scene.
The street is closed to all traffic.
The portion closed is directly in front of the Gum Tree Park near the Tupelo Police Department.
It's unclear at this time what took place, but police could be seen using flashlights to search a grassy area.
WTVA has reached out to Tupelo police, but so far no information has been released.
We will keep you updated.
- UPDATE: Victim in Tupelo hit-and-run identified
- UPDATE: Arrest made for fatal hit-and-run in Tupelo
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting
- UPDATE: Victims of fatal wreck identified
- UPDATE: Victim identified in Columbus fatal shooting
- Funeral held for hit and run victim
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies man in Tupelo fatal accident
- Help sought in identifying Tupelo burglar
- UPDATE: Georgia man identified as victim of fatal 18-wheeler wreck