TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Memorial Day was celebrated in Tupelo Monday morning where U.S. Congressman Trent Kelly spoke.
Locals gathered at Veterans Park to honor those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
Many veterans were there to pay respects as well.
Kelly is also a Brigadier General in the Mississippi Army National Guard.
"The heart beat and the pulse of America and freedom everywhere is based on the blood of patriots and that's what it's about," he said. "It's about remembering those who served and gave the ultimate sacrifice and honoring them with our commitment to freedom and the future."
The ceremony concluded with the laying of the memorial wreath.
- Tupelo honors fallen patriots on Memorial Day
- Community honors fallen deputy
- Fallen Prentiss County lineman honored
- Fallen Tupelo detective laid to rest
- Aberdeen celebrates Memorial Day
- MLK Day in Tupelo
- Tupelo remembering fallen police officer with moment of silence
- Ole Miss Engineering honors Tupelo native
- Memorial service held for the homeless who died in Tupelo
- Northeast Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers Memorial held in Tupelo