TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The Tupelo City Council voted 4-3 Tuesday in favor of temporarily allowing people in one part of the city to take alcohol out of bars and restaurants in a special cup.
The go cup ordinance will only apply in the downtown area, and it will only apply for 6 months.
This comes after Mayor Jason Shelton and some council members visited Gulfport, Hattiesburg and Ocean Springs, three cities with a go cup ordinance. They reported no issues with the law.
However, some council members during Tuesday's meeting expressed concerns about loosening the city's alcohol restrictions.
- Tupelo council approves Go Cup ordinance
- Tupelo City Council approves mobile vendor ordinance
- Tupelo go-cup ordinance extended just for Blue Suede Cruise
- Tupelo City Council approves Jackson Street improvements
- Tupelo City Council sparks conversation about food truck ordinance
- Tupelo City Council talks 'go-cup' and development
- Report: Starkville looking into 'Go Cup' ordinance
- Tupelo City Council approves water/sewer rate hike
- Tupelo City Council to approve outside PR firm
- Tupelo City Council rejected public transportation proposal