TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – A new bridge has been dedicated to honor former Tupelo Mayor Clyde Whitaker.
The bridge is over Interstate 22 on Barnes Crossing Road. The dedication was held at Tupelo’s City Hall with Whitaker’s family on hand.
He is considered to be one of the region’s most visionary leaders, said Mississippi Transportation Commission’s Mike Tagert.
Whitaker passed away in 2010, but not before serving two terms as mayor and becoming the first Republican elected official in Lee County. He served as mayor from 1973 to 1981.
“It’s just nice to see it recognized publicly,” said his daughter Beth Whitaker. “And to see so many people here who knew him and appreciated what he did.”
- Tupelo bridge dedicated to former mayor
- Tupelo mayor announces bid for U.S. Senate
- Starkville Police dedicate new building
- Tupelo mayor vetoes proposal to build turn lane
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton's U.S. Senate campaign moving forward
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton drops out of U.S. Senate race
- Tupelo mayor attends ceremony at White House honoring Elvis
- Iowa town welcomes Tupelo mayor to talk about tornado recovery
- Fire damages Tupelo apartments
- MLK Day in Tupelo