TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – Tupelo Public School District Superintendent Dr. Gearl Loden has announced his retirement.
His announcement came at the beginning of the regular December meeting of the school district's Board of Trustees on Tuesday, December 5.
His retirement will begin following this current school year.
He is in his sixth year with the school district.
"Dr. Loden has provided remarkable leadership to the district during his six years as superintendent," said TPSD Board President Eddie Prather. "This has been a time of stress and transition for Mississippi public schools. Under his guidance during a time of constantly changing standards of accountability, TPSD's ranking among school districts in the state has risen dramatically."
The Mantachie native has served in many positions in his academic career, including a Social Studies teacher at Tupelo High School, as well as several leadership positions in various districts.
Prior to arriving in Tupelo, he served the same position with the Amory School District.
"What a pleasure it has been to serve as superintendent of Tupelo Public Schools for the past six years," Loden said. "Tupelo is a special place and I will always be grateful for having had the opportunity to live and work here. The people are the foundation of any successful community. Tupelo is blessed to have such wonderful students, teachers, administrators, community members and leaders."
Prather says the Board of Trustees has already begun working toward finding a new superintendent.
"Dr. Loden will be difficult to replace," Prather said. "But because he has given us sufficient time to do this in an orderly way, we are already beginning a search process."
- Tupelo Schools Superintendent Dr. Gearl Loden to retire
- Okolona school superintendent to retire
- Dr. Edward Hill announces retirement
- Possible retirement for Calhoun Co. school superintendent
- Farewell reception for Tupelo superintendent
- Tupelo Public School District seeks community input for new superintendent
- Tupelo school superintendent to take same position in Missouri
- Monroe County school superintendent to retire at end of school year
- Nettleton School District names new school superintendent
- Superintendent: Alabama school agency eliminated deficit