Update 10/31/18 4:44 p.m.
The Tupelo Public School District says it suspended high school teacher Braden Bishop on Monday.
"Local law enforcement is conducting an investigation," said Director of Communications Gregg Ellis. "At this time, we are unable to provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation and due to privacy laws relating to personnel matters."
Update 10/31/18 3:03 p.m.
Lee County Attorney James Moore identifies the Tupelo High School educator as Braden Bishop.
He says a petition has been filed for a probable cause hearing against Bishop for two counts of sexual battery and five counts of child molestation.
Bishop is accused of having improper relations with a student.
See the original post below.
TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A Tupelo High School teacher is under investigation.
According to Tupelo Public School District Communications Director Gregg Ellis, the matter has been referred to local law enforcement.
The district releasing this statement:
“We have referred this matter to local law enforcement authorities, who are conducting an investigation involving a Tupelo High School teacher. Due to applicable privacy laws, we are prohibited from disclosing non-public personnel matters. Our No. 1 priority is a safe learning environment for all our students.”
Tupelo police released this statement:
"We can confirm that there is an active criminal investigation regarding a Tupelo Public School System employee. This is an active and ongoing investigation and we can make no further comments at this time."
This is a developing story.
- UPDATE: Tupelo High School teacher under investigation
- UPDATE: Former Tupelo teacher arrested, charged
- Police investigate Tupelo death
- Building evacuated at Tupelo High School
- MSU president visits Tupelo High School
- Cooper Tire employees visit Tupelo High School
- Tupelo Public School District announces Teachers of Distinction
- Tupelo police investigating Sunday crash
- Tupelo Police investigate Thanksgiving shooting
- Tupelo police investigate weekend shooting