JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — President Donald Trump is tweeting his "complete and total endorsement" for a Republican who was appointed to the U.S. Senate in Mississippi and is running in a November special election.
Trump tweeted Thursday that Cindy Hyde-Smith supports a border wall and "fights for our conservative judges."
...Cindy has voted for our Agenda in the Senate 100% of the time and has my complete and total Endorsement. We need Cindy to win in Mississippi!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 23, 2018
In a second tweet, Trump says: "Cindy has voted for our Agenda in the Senate 100% of the time and has my complete and total Endorsement."
The endorsement is important in a race where Hyde-Smith faces three challengers, including a tea party-backed Republican state senator, Chris McDaniel. Both Hyde-Smith and McDaniel campaign as Trump allies.
The election winner serves the final two years of a term started by Republican Thad Cochran, who resigned in April. Gov. Phil Bryant appointed Hyde-Smith to temporarily succeed Cochran.
— Cindy Hyde-Smith (@cindyhydesmith) August 23, 2018
- Trump tweets 'total endorsement' for Mississippi senator
- President Trump endorses Wicker in U.S. Senate race
- Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban
- Trump could return to Mississippi for senator
- Los Angeles mayor endorses Mike Espy for U.S. Senate
- Tornado total for April 18 in Mississippi jumps to 43
- Mississippi: West Nile virus total reaches 5 cases this year
- Trump claims total exoneration on Mueller report
- Mississippi senator incorrectly says she has Trump support
- President Trump endorses Tate Reeves for MS governor