JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - State troopers are preparing for their annual Christmas travel enforcement period to keep motorists safe.
This year’s travel enforcement period begins at midnight on Friday, Dec. 21.
It will conclude at the end of Christmas Day.
Capt. John Poulos with the Mississippi Highway Patrol says all available troopers will be used on all state, federal and interstate systems to combat reckless driving, along with speeding and distracted driving issues.
Troopers will use safety checkpoints during this time to enforce child restraint and seatbelt laws while also removing impaired drivers.
During this same period last year, troopers investigated 157 crashes with no fatalities.
- Troopers starting Christmas enforcement period this week
- MHP to begin Christmas enforcement period
- Troopers set to begin Labor Day enforcement period
- MHP's Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period begins Wednesday
- MHP begins July 4th enforcement period
- MHP to begin New Year's enforcement period Friday
- MHP to begin Memorial Day enforcement period on Friday
- Natchez Trace rangers begin Labor Day enforcement period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP to start Thanksgiving enforcement period Wednesday