JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Troopers investigated four highway deaths during the Labor Day enforcement period.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol’s Labor Day Enforcement period was from Friday, August 31 at midnight to Monday, September 3 at midnight.
During this period, troopers issued 9,440 citations with 166 DUI arrests statewide.
Troopers also investigated 165 crashes, which included 54 injuries and four deaths.
“A significant increase in traffic citations was recorded for the period compared to last year (3,843),” stated Captain John Poulos. “We attribute this to heavy traffic and the utilization of all available troopers including the addition of new troopers from Cadet Class 62.”
One fatal crash happened on Friday, August 31 on Interstate 22 in Union County. Mervyn Epsman, 79, of Warrior, Alabama, and Jerome D. Young, 48, of Nettleton, were killed in the crash.
RELATED: Two killed in Union County crash
Other fatal crashes happened in Clarke County, killing a Shubuta man, and in Newton County, killing a Union man.
- Troopers investigate 4 deaths during Labor Day period
- Alabama troopers investigate 23 traffic deaths during holiday period
- Alabama troopers report 11 deaths during Thanksgiving holiday period
- Troopers begin Christmas travel enforcement period
- Alabama troopers investigated 22 deaths during Christmas, New Year's holiday travel period
- Natchez Trace rangers begin Labor Day enforcement period
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- MHP investigates one death during New Year's enforcement period
- State troopers prepare for July 4 holiday enforcement period
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period