PANOLA COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Hazmat teams responded to an overturned 18-wheeler in Panola County, causing a fire.
The fire is on Interstate 55 near Eureka Road.
Update - A brief evacuation was executed in the area.
Panola County Sheriff Dennis Darby says the truck was hauling 25,000 pounds of sulfur.
He says the fire is out with diesel fuel still smoldering.
He says two Batesville police officers were injured. They are expected to be okay. The driver of the 18-wheeler was airlifted for burn treatment.
I-55 southbound traffic should prepare to exit at Batesville/Oxford. I-55 northbound traffic should prepare to exit at Pope/Courtland.
— MHP Batesville (@MHPTroopE) May 31, 2018
- Part of I-55 in Panola County closed due to hazmat situation
- Fatal Winona wreck on I-55
- Panola County crash kills Water Valley man
- Panola man charged with assault in Oxford
- Panola County teen fighting for life after hit-and-run
- Panola County woman accused of embezzlement in Oxford
- MHP investigates pedestrian and vehicle accident in Panola County
- Report: Tupelo paving company expanding to Panola County
- Panola County deputies seek man involved in dogfighting ring
- 3 shot at outdoor party in Panola County attended by 200