TISHOMINGO COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A Tishomingo County deputy is recovering after being hit by a fleeing vehicle Thursday night.
According to the Tishomingo County Sheriff's Department, on Thursday the department was notified by Alcorn County law enforcement of a pursuit that was entering into Tishomingo County.
Once the vehicle crossed into Tishomingo County, deputies were able to make contact with the vehicle that was being pursued as it came onto County Road 302 in Tishomingo County.
They were able to make contact with the driver, and as the deputy attempted to open the driver's side door, the driver struck the Tishomingo County deputy with the vehicle and then attempted to flee the area.
"At this time, Tishomingo County deputies immediately fired their duty weapons at the vehicle and also asked for assistance," stated the Tishomingo County Sheriff's Department.
Tishomingo County Sheriff John Daugherty says the vehicle eventually stopped a short distance later on County Road 302 because of flat tires.
The driver of the vehicle fled the scene. The passenger in the vehicle was injured during the incident. When asked if the passenger received injuries from deputy gunfire, Sheriff Daugherty says that's still under the investigation of the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI).
The passenger was flown from the area to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. The passenger's current condition is unknown.
Daugherty says the injured deputy is at home recovering from the incident.
On Friday sometime near 1 p.m., Tishomingo County officers served a search warrant at an apartment complex in the Burnsville area where three people were located and detained.
Sheriff Daugherty says the driver that fled was one of the three. The names of the individuals and their charges will be released at a later date.
The reason the pursuit was initiated is still under the investigation of MBI.
The Tishomingo County Sheriff's Department says it will release more information at a later date
- Tishomingo County deputy hit by fleeing vehicle
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tishomingo County
- Sheriff: Man uses vehicle to attack woman in Tishomingo County
- Tishomingo County drug investigation turns up stolen vehicle
- Tishomingo County deputies arrest two on drug charges
- Tishomingo County deputies led on chase; make drug arrest
- UPDATE: Tishomingo County body identified
- Mower taken from Tishomingo County business
- State investigates Tishomingo County teacher termination
- Duo face drug charges in Tishomingo County