TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - State Rep. Steve Holland lost his re-election bid for District 16 on Tuesday to former Lee County Justice Court Judge Rickey Thompson.
Thompson, who was running as a Democrat, defeated Holland, who ran as an Independent, by a few hundred votes.
Holland has served in that seat for the last 36 years.
"You know, I feel OK. I have had 36 wonderful years in the House of Representatives," Holland said.
Holland spoke with WTVA reporter Evan Hensley and talked about how things have changed over the years.
"Well, it's not anywhere close to the same thing. When I entered 36 years ago, an issue was an issue; it didn't matter about party,” he said.
Holland shared with his community in a letter he put on Facebook stating how much this time has meant to him.
"I got a life outside of the legislature,” Holland said. “I just worry about the little people; I hope they will be fine. That's who I have always taken care of; that's who I've always worried about."
Thompson spoke with WTVA about how he plans to leave his mark.
"I'm feeling great right now. I'm feeling great for the community, about what has transpired during this election year," he said. "It's a very exciting time. It's more like a transition for the community, and we are all about change and making things better. We want them to know that we are here for change, and we want to invite everybody in."
Thompson served as a Justice Court judge but was removed from office by the Mississippi Supreme Court in 2015.
Both men shared their respect for each other a hope for success down the line.
- Thompson defeats Holland for seat in the state House of Representatives
- House of Representatives impeaches President Donald Trump
- Alabama defeats Mississippi State 31-24
- Oregon State defeats Mississippi State 12-2
- State representative to run for lieutenant governor
- Holland tells lawmakers memory problems ease
- Mississippi State women defeat South Carolina 67-53
- Iowa defeats No. 18 Mississippi State 27-22 in Outback Bowl
- Mississippi representative recognized after nearly 4 decades
- House of Representatives orders Pentagon to investigate whether ticks were once used as biological weapons