TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The 2019 small business competition, The Pitch, was hosted at the CDF building in Tupelo on East Main Street Monday night.
Originally 14 businesses made pitches, but only four reached Monday's final round.
More than $5,000 worth of prizes go to the winner of The Pitch to help start their business - this includes a small seed fund, professional services, and space in the idea hub within the Renasant Center for Ideas.
Linda and James Maxey, the business owners, are wanting to open a drive-thru coffee shop in Tupelo on North Gloster Street next to Woody's Restaurant.
After winning, Linda Maxey said she was, "Just really shocked, and we came into this not even thinking we would be picked as a finalist."
For the past month, the couple got the chance to work with a mentor from the Mississippi Small Business Development Center, Derek Stephens, who has helped the couple refine their business plans.
The first thing the Maxeys have on their to-do list is to actually build the building for "Sippi Sippin" coffee.
- 'The Pitch' names its new winner
- CDF announced 'The Pitch' winner
- Oscars winners 2019: See the full list of winners
- Golden Globes: The winners list
- Early offense, dominant pitching leads Diamond Dawgs past Central Michigan
- Academy award winner to come to Tupelo
- Winners announced for MDOT District 1 roadeo
- Mississippi Main Street announces local award winners
- St. Jude Dream Home Giveaway prize winners