UPDATE 3/18/18 7:07 p.m. - Sheriff Cecil Cantrell confirmed the girl died at the hospital from her injuries. Coroner Alan Gurley says she died at 6:45 Sunday evening.
MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A 9-year-old boy is accused of shooting and killing his 13-year-old sister in the head during an argument over a video game.
Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says deputies responded to the scene around 1 p.m. on Saturday.
There they learned the boy grabbed a gun when the teenage girl would not give up the video game controller. Sheriff Cantrell says the bullet went through the girl's brain.
Their mother was in another room feeding lunch to other kids when it happened. Sheriff Cantrell said they aren't sure how the boy was able to access the gun.
The girl was rushed to Le Bonheur's Children's Hospital where she later died from her injuries.
Sheriff Cantrell confirms the victim was Dijonae White. She was a student at Tupelo Middle School.
This case is under investigation. Sheriff Cantrell says he does not know what consequences the boy faces. He adds he has never had a case where a child shoots another child in that manner. We aren't sure if the boy is in custody or not.
- Sheriff: Girl shot by boy dies
- Sheriff: 9-year-old boy dies following ATV accident
- Boy dies in accidental shooting
- Monroe sheriff: Woman stabbed, possibly shot
- Sheriff: Louisiana man abducted Monroe County girl
- Sheriff: Motorcyclist dies after crash, pursuit
- 15-year-old Mississippi boy shot dead while riding bicycle
- Man charged after sheriff's deputies say he shot at them
- Sheriff: Boy found naked, chained in Alabama home; 3 charged
- As girls arrive, Boy Scouts change name of flagship program