Photo Gallery 1 Images
UPDATED on 07/07/18 at 4:10 p.m.: Winona police have arrested Markevion Merritt, 16, just after 1 p.m. on Saturday according to Chief Investigator Dan Herod.
Merritt turned himself into police after an arrest warrant for the teen was issued around 12:30 a.m. Friday morning says Herod.
He adds Merritt will be charged as an adult and bond has been set at $500,000 by Judge Donald Bond.
Merritt sits at the Carroll-Montgomery County Regional Correctional Facility and is scheduled to appear in Winona Municipal Court on Tuesday, July 10 at 2 p.m. for a preliminary hearing.
UPDATED on 07/07/18 at 1:43 p.m.: Chief Investigator Dan Herod say they have a suspect in custody. We are working to learn the identify of the suspect accused of shooting and killing a 16 year old boy on Thursday night.
See the original post below.
WINONA, Miss. (WTVA) - A 16-year-old boy is dead in Winona after being shot Thursday night.
Chief Investigator Dan Herod with Winona police says officers were dispatched to Silver Street sometime near 10:36 p.m. for a report of someone being shot.
When officers arrived, they found a person in the street suffering from a gunshot wound. The teen was pronounced dead at the scene by Montgomery County Coroner Allan Pratt.
The name of the victim has not been released at this time.
A suspect has been identified, Herod says. The name of the suspect was not released.
No arrests have been made at this time.
This is an ongoing investigation and officers are still gathering facts.
Police tell me they hope to make an arrest soon. @wtva9news
— Madison Heil (@MadisonHeilTV) July 6, 2018
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody for Winona shooting
- UPDATE: Winona murder suspect appears in court
- UPDATE: Corinth shooting suspect in custody
- UPDATE: Kosciusko shooting suspects now in custody
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody after shooting near Eupora High School
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody for West Point shooting
- Missing Winona man located
- Shooting wounds two people in Winona
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in Winona shooting
- UPDATE: Houston stabbing suspect now in custody