WEAVER, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama teacher is under arrest after being accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.
Calhoun County Sheriff Matthew Wade tells AL.com that 28-year-old Stephanie Henry Pruett is charged with engaging in a sexual act with a student. If convicted, she would face up to 20 years in prison and be required to register as a sex offender.
Wade says the Weaver High School "Bible as Literature" and history teacher was arrested Thursday when his agency received a report that she had been sexually involved with a 17-year-old student since October. Pruett is married and has a child. Pruett is on paid leave.
An online biography says Pruett previously worked in Jacksonville State University's athletic department. It's unclear if she has a lawyer.
- Teacher accused of having sex with minor student
- Former Alcorn assistant teacher accused of striking student
- Oxford man charged with trafficking minor for sex acts
- Minor rescued from man accused of making child porn
- Former Starkville teacher charged with child sex crimes
- Minor injury in Lowndes County wreck
- Minor damage reported after Booneville church fire
- Missing teen may be with teacher accused of sexual battery
- UPDATED: Student receives minor injuries after bullet passes through school bus
- Investigation underway into alleged teacher, student drug activity