TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A senior at Tupelo High School is recovering from surgery after a car accident sent him to the ICU and left his mother dead Sunday morning.
Montgomery County Coroner Allen Pratt confirmed Erica Walls, 40, of Tupelo, died at the scene of the accident. Her son Tahj Crump was taken to the ICU at the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
Pratt said the accident happened around 9:24 a.m. Sunday morning on Hwy 82 just east of Kilmichael. He said the car ran off the road and overturned. Walls was the passenger and had to be removed from the car using the jaws of life.
Crump suffered one punctured lung, another bruised lung and a fractured elbow. He underwent surgery earlier today and is now recovering. We are working to get an update on his condition.
Crump plays basketball at Tupelo High School. Coach Jeff Norwood was with him in the ICU and told WTVA the doctor expects him to make a full recovery.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol and a local fire department responded to the accident. We have reached out to officials for more information on the accident.
On Monday, a Tupelo High School representative stated a GoFundMe.com account has been set up for Crump's family >> gofundme.com/crumpfamilydonations
A prayer vigil will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. at The Orchard in Tupelo.
- THS athlete recovering following fatal car wreck
- MHP investigates fatal two car wreck
- Itawamba County wreck turns fatal
- Fatal Winona wreck on I-55
- THS's Johnson honored for commitment to Tupelo Police Athletic League
- Fatal Tishomingo County wreck under investigation
- Former MHP trooper indicted following fatal wreck
- UPDATE: Victims of fatal wreck identified
- Man dies after Lowndes County fatal wreck
- Another fatal wreck reported in Kemper County