ABERDEEN, Miss. (WTVA) - Cecil Cantrell has stepped down as sheriff of Monroe County.
Monroe County District 1 Supervisor Joseph Richardson confirmed this information with WTVA Tuesday afternoon.
He was in the middle of notifying other Monroe County supervisors about the sheriff's decision.
Richardson later confirmed the sheriff’s resignation is effective immediately.
Supervisors will make an appointment by Friday, he said.
Chief Deputy Curtis Knight will assume the role of sheriff until supervisors make a decision.
Cantrell was defeated in the Democratic Primary on Aug. 6. However, his current term concludes at the end of the year.
- Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell steps down
- State auditor's office conducts investigation into former Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell
- Sheriff: Louisiana man abducted Monroe County girl
- Sheriff: Teenager wounded in Monroe County shooting
- Monroe County supervisors name interim sheriff
- Monroe sheriff: Woman stabbed, possibly shot
- Monroe County sheriff warns of rising phone caller scams
- Sheriff: Man injured in Monroe County stabbing incident
- 2 face charges with Monroe County Sheriff's Department
- Sheriff: Man dead in Monroe County home invasion