SHANNON, Miss. (WTVA) - A new storm shelter is being built at Shannon Primary School.
Lee County School District officials broke ground Wednesday morning on the new project.
Representatives from the school board, construction company and superintendent Jimmy Weeks couldn’t hold their excitement about the project.
The project is 90 percent funded by the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and will act as a multi-purpose room.
Weeks says the 2,700 square-foot structure will be able to hold 350 to 400 people inside.
This will act as a storm shelter for not only students at the school but the community as well.
- Storm shelter being built at Shannon school
- Pontotoc School Storm Shelter
- Shannon man faces drug charges
- UPDATE: Missing Shannon man found
- Shannon police find cocaine, make arrest
- Shannon collision sends two to hospital
- General Atomics in Shannon expanding, creates jobs
- Nurses bring prom to Shannon student
- Some in Shannon experiencing sewage smell
- Man arrested in Shannon with counterfeit money