JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) — The Mississippi Department of Corrections reported another inmate death this week, becoming the 13th state inmate to die since late December.
The warden at the Kemper-Neshoba Regional Correctional Facility said Limarion Reaves, 28, collapsed before 1 p.m. Tuesday.
He added that medical staff tried CPR on Reaves and even tried to shock his heart in hopes of restoring a normal heartbeat before an ambulance took him away.
The state will perform an autopsy on the inmate, who was serving a three-year prison sentence on an aggravated assault conviction in Leflore County.
Most of the state inmate deaths since December 29 have not been in regional jails but in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
- State reported 13th inmate death since late last month
- Timeline: 18 inmates dead since late-December
- REPORT: State examines child deaths in Mississippi
- Name of inmate released following jail death
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Alabama inmate deaths rise despite national attention
- 13 fun facts about Friday the 13th
- Two state inmates missing at Parchman
- Death row inmate loses appeal over lethal injection drugs
- Mississippi inmate's death last week was 76th in 2018