JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) — A man serving time on a manslaughter conviction from Lowndes County became the 19th state inmate to die in custody since December 29.
Rankin County Coroner David Ruth told WLBT-TV that someone found the body of Omar Beard, 36, in his cell overnight at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility.
Someone pronounced him dead early Wednesday at a hospital. The state will do an autopsy to determine how he died.
Beard, of Columbus, pleaded guilty last year for his part in the robbery and killing of a disabled man in 2011.
- State inmate convicted in Lowndes County of manslaughter found dead
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Lowndes County murder conviction overturned
- UPDATE: Manslaughter charge filed in Lowndes County fatal accident
- State Court of Appeals upholds conviction of Lowndes County man
- Inmate found dead at Parchman
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies deceased Lowndes County inmate
- Man convicted of manslaughter for dog attacks
- Man convicted of manslaughter following dog attacks
- 1 dead after Lowndes County shooting