TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - State Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert has announced he will not run for re-election.
The Republican did not say in his statement why he planned to leave the commission in 2020 but did say he hoped to remain in public service.
Tagert won a special election in 2011 to represent North Mississippi on the commission and was re-elected in 2011 and 2015.
He becomes the second commissioner to announce his intentions not to run for re-election.
Central District Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall did the same thing just days ago.
- State Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert not running for re-election
- State Rep. Gipson named Mississippi agriculture commissioner
- Alcorn State president named new Commissioner of Higher Ed.
- Tupelo City Council rejected public transportation proposal
- Reeves, transport director differ over highway communication
- Governor calls special session on transportation
- Gov. Bryant signs transportation funding act
- Alabama governor to announce transportation improvement plan
- Election results
- Commissioner of Higher Education plans to retire