IUKA, Miss. (WTVA) - Mississippi School Superintendent Dr. Carey Wright visited north Mississippi school districts that scored an "A" on the state's accountability system.
As part of the 3rd annual "Celebration of Excellence" tour, Wright and other officials from the Mississippi Department of Education stopped by the North Tippah Consolidated School District, Tishomingo County Special Municipal Separate School District and the Booneville School District on Monday to thank teachers and students for their hard work.
"This is the first time [the Tishomingo County Special Municipal Separate School District] has been honored this way," Wright said. "There are only 18 school districts in the state of Mississippi that earned an "A" and Tishomingo is one of them. I am here to pat them on the back and tell them job well done and just to enjoy the excitement."
Ratings are based on several factors including levels of proficiency and progress on tested subjects on the Mississippi Academic Assessment Program.
Mississippi's school grading system is designed to inform parents and communities how well their schools and districts are educating students, Wright said.
In addition to an increase in school districts earning an "A", the number of schools earning an "A" also rose from 114 in 2016-17 to 181 in 2017-18.
"It takes hard work and commitment by administrators, teachers, parents and community members to ensure that students receive a high-quality education," Wright said. "I look forward to visiting school districts each year to join in celebrating their accomplishments. As schools across the state improve, our students reap the rewards of an education that better prepares them to achieve their goals."
Wright, as well as other officials from the MDE, will visit the Union County School District and Pontotoc City School District on Tuesday.
- State superintendent visits north MS school districts
- Local man drowns while visiting MS coast
- North MS Tool relocates operations to Ripley
- Quitman School District hires assistant superintendent from Starkville
- Tupelo Public School District seeks community input for new superintendent
- Wiygul named new superintendent for Itawamba County School District
- MDOT: Icy conditions reported in north & central MS
- A-F grades approved for state school districts and schools
- Possible retirement for Calhoun Co. school superintendent
- Superintendent: Alabama school agency eliminated deficit