STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A family in Starkville is displaced after their home caught fire early Saturday morning.
The East Oktibbeha Fire Department was dispatched to the home on Lilac Street at 12:59 am. Oktibbeha County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said the back of the home and the attic area were engulfed in flames as fire fighters arrived to the scene.
Rosenhan said the fire may have started from a previous fire that was lit in the backyard.
Neighbors say they woke up around 1:30 am to sirens.
"It's definitely nothing I want to experience again," said RC Fron, a neighbor living two homes down from the home that caught fire. "I mean you walk outside and you feel helpless. I mean the fire department is there, but everyone is standing around outside. Justin and his family were [outside]. And you're just wataching your livelihood essentially go up in flames."
Rosenhan said the family living in the home were inside at the time of the fire. Those four were able to escape the flames and they are safe.
Fron added they were able to exit by a door and a window.
According to Rosenhan, there were no smoke detectors in the home. Oktibbeha County fire departments urge every home to have smoke detectors.
The Oktibbeha-Starkville Emergency Research Volunteer Service is helping the family at this time.
- Starkville home is total loss after early morning fire
- Mobile home considered total loss after fire
- Bruce home a total loss after fires
- Mantachie home a total loss after morning fire
- Historic West Point home deemed a total loss after fire
- Lowndes County home a total loss after fire
- Home considered total loss after fire in Tupelo
- Fire destroys Starkville apartment building
- UPDATE: Missing Starkville teen returns home
- Tupelo firefighters respond to early Saturday morning fire