NEW SITE, Miss. (WTVA) - The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway remains closed as of Tuesday.
An accident created a hazardous spill at the Jamie Whitten Lock & Dam.
The lock is east of New Site in Tishomingo County.
According to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the “vessel accident” happened on Sunday.
The merchant vessel was loaded with two barges of crude oil.
The lock is closed to all traffic until further notice.
The lock and dam are part of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.
The oil is contained inside the lock and the Corps of Engineers said there is no threat outside of the lock area.
- Tenn-Tom Waterway reopens
- Tenn-Tom Waterway still closed in Tishomingo County after oil spill
- Tenn-Tom Waterway closed after heavy rain
- Damaged barge removed from Tenn-Tom Waterway lock in Tishomingo County
- $2B Tenn-Tom Waterway yet to yield promised boom
- Gov. Phil Bryant to chair Tenn-Tom Waterway Dev. Authority
- Work is ongoing to reopen Tenn-Tom Waterway
- Work continues to remove oil from lock along Tenn-Tom Waterway
- Tenn-Tom still closed after flood blocks way with sandbars
- Bond set for Tenn. woman charged in Tishomingo County