TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Several dozen students in Lee County Schools were honored Tuesday evening.
The Lee County School Board recognized student-athletes who competed over the last year at the Special Olympic Games at local, state and national levels.
After a video that highlighted the students' accomplishments, each athlete was awarded a certificate for their participation and their medals.
"It was like a real big deal," Madison Dennis of Saltillo High School said. "I'm glad to be able to win third with our team. It was really cool to see everybody get to be out there and see how everybody was doing competing against the teams."
Lee County Schools earlier this year had the most qualifiers to attend the state games in Biloxi.
- Special Olympic athletes honored in Lee County
- Lee County athletes to compete nationally in Special Olympics
- Tupelo athlete selected to compete in Special Olympics USA Games
- Tupelo Special Olympic swim meet
- Lee County Health Dept. holds special immunization clinic
- Special Olympic Games torch lit in Tupelo
- UPDATE: Lee County road reopens
- Fire destroys Lee County home
- Lee County judge sworn in
- Olympic champion honored with Mississippi highway sign