BREAKING NEWS One dead in Itawamba County house fire Full Story

Son attempted murder with axe

The father survived the gruesome attack - his son is being held in Tippah County jail without bond.

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 8:30 PM

EDITOR'S NOTE: WTVA reported a horrific story out of Ripley Friday afternoon. A 21 year-old man attacked his own father with an axe. The son is now charged with attempted murder. WTVA's Mike Russell spent much of Friday in Tippah County, and filed this report.
TIPPAH COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - It a horrific scene, according to a witness, and it happened just north of Ripley in Tippah County Thursday afternoon. We're told that 55 year-old Walter Lee Boyd -- the victim -- and his 21 year-old son Sedabris Antonio Boyd were here at a non-operating gas station/convenience store -- Prather's Place -- getting a tour on behalf of a man they were working for, a potential buyer of the property.

A witness who did not want to speak on camera told WTVA that Sedabris Boyd seemed agitated for no apparent reason. He took an axe from his truck and struck his father with it. The two of them made their way to a driveway behind the store, where Sedabris struck his father again, this time in the face.

The witness said it was a gruesome wound. She said Walter Boyd's teeth were knocked out, and the bottom half of his face seemed to be hanging from his skull. She says she called police and prayed for Walter Boyd while she held his hand. His son Sedebris, at that point, seemed to realize what he'd done. He fell into tears, and was taken into custody shortly after by the Tippah County Sheriff. Meanwhile, Sedabris' uncle, Michael Addix, former NFL player, says the incident was just a big misunderstanding.

"Just a perspective from where the family is with this - and we're in full support of it," said Haddix. "It's unfortunate what happened, [it's] a terrible tragedy, but we will deal with it, and [we] just ask for the prayers of the public right now in our time of tragedy."

Tippah County Sheriff Karl Galliard says Walter Boyd survived the attacked with severe lacerations to his face, neck, and hand. He was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, then later to Jackson for further treatment. Galliard said the last word he had on Walter Boy'd condition was that he is stable.

Meanwhile, his son is being held in the Tippah County jail without bond, charged with attempted murder. There is still no word on why 21 year-old Sedabris Boyd attacked his father. Galliard says he is still investigating - and hopes to gather more information from Walter Boyd.

Article Comments

41° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 38°
41° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 35°
39° wxIcon
Hi: 44° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 34°
Scattered Clouds
41° wxIcon
Hi: 45° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 36°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather