TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) — A handful of local sheriffs either lost in their reelection bids or were forced into an August 27 runoff.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell lost in the Democratic primary to former Justice Court Judge Kevin Crook, who advances to the general election.
Noxubee County Sheriff Terry Grassaree was defeated by law enforcement officer Tom Roby in the Democratic primary.
Meanwhile, Montgomery County Sheriff Bubba Nix will be in a Democratic primary runoff with Jeff Tompkins in three weeks.
And Yalobusha County Sheriff Lance Humphreys was forced into an August 27 runoff with Luther Folson for the Democratic nomination.
Runoffs will also be held in Lowndes and Webster counties to settle primaries in sheriff's races where the incumbent is not seeking another four-year term.
In Lowndes County, the runoff will be between Chief Deputy Greg Wright and Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics Agent Eddie Hawkins.
In Webster County, the runoff will be between David Gore and Casey Henderson in the Democratic primary.
Other significant local races include longtime state Rep. Jeff Smith losing in the GOP primary to Dana McLean in the House District 39 race.
The Democratic primary for Clay County circuit clerk will go to a runoff between Barbara Spraggins and Kim Hood.
The Democratic primary for Tishomingo County circuit clerk will also go to a runoff between Rebecca Oaks and Randy Springs while the Republican runoff is between Josh McNatt and Jerry Patterson.
Cindy Goode won the GOP primary for Lowndes County chancery clerk.
- Some incumbent sheriffs ousted in Tuesday primaries
- Governor primaries headline Mississippi ballots on Tuesday
- Ousted Okolona police chief to appeal ruling
- Party primaries set for Mississippi, Alabama on Tuesday
- Mississippi State ousts Louisville 31-27 in 2017 TaxSlayer Bowl
- Hearing set for ousted Noxubee County school leaders seeking to get jobs back
- Campaign in state primary races winding down
- Trump tweets support for GOP primary candidates
- Baria, Guest win congressional primary runoffs
- POLL: Wicker could face tough primary challenge from McDaniel