PONTOTOC, Miss. (WTVA) - The Pontotoc County sheriff and school officials confirmed an investigation is underway into an apparent assault at South Pontotoc Middle School.
Pontotoc County School Superintendent Brock Puckett said the incident happened in the past couple of days.
He said the school district notified law enforcement and state agencies. Puckett did not release specifics on what happened. He said it appeared to be a case of hazing.
Sheriff Leo Mask confirmed the investigation but said he won't release any further information from his department until it is complete.
- Sheriff, school officials investigating apparent assault at South Pontotoc Middle School
- Pontotoc School Storm Shelter
- Police investigating school threats in Pontotoc, Oxford
- Troopers: South Pontotoc school bus involved in wreck
- Pontotoc County officials sworn in
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash
- Bond referendum being held for Pontotoc schools
- Pontotoc woman arrested inside old Columbus school
- Police charge Pontotoc man with Oxford assault
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Louisville middle school illness